By Taran Soodan | Aug 23, 2016 | Features, Microsoft Azure |
A core benefit of using
cloud storage is getting the data center hardware monkey off your back
and getting elastic capacity. A challenge of using new cloud paradigm
storage mechanisms such as object storage may result in re-engineering
applications customers have spent a lot of time and money cultivating. In
Azure, the scalable object storage offering comes via Block Blob
offered in both Hot (frequently used data) and Cool (for older data).
So, how can you get the benefit of elastic capacity and cost point
options and still use the NFS, CIFS/SMB, iSCSI and AFP file sharing
protocols that Blob Storage doesn’t provide?
Sneak Peak: Blob Storage for SoftNAS Cloud on Azure
As we continue our efforts to expand Microsoft Azure’s
storage capabilities, we’re introducing exciting new features to make
Microsoft Azure Blob Storage even easier to use. With the upcoming
release of SoftNAS Cloud®, customers will be able to frontend the Blob
Storage provided by Azure with NFS, CIFS/SMB, iSCSI and AFP file sharing
protocols. See the video below for a sneak peek of how SoftNAS Cloud
frontends Azure Blob Storage.
Using SoftNAS to frontend Blob Storage has a number of advantages including:
- Highly Scalable: Customers can now store up to 16 PB per instance and scale cloud NAS deployments from Gigabytes to Petabytes.
- No Application Re-coding:
SoftNAS Cloud allows easy workload migrations to the Azure cloud
without changing existing application data structures or workflows.
- Improved Flexibility: Customers can mix and match Blob Storage tiers to find an optimal price/performance ratio that best meets their needs.
Customers can also leverage support for the Hot and Cool Storage tiers for Blob storage with:
- Azure Cool Storage – Object storage that allows economical safe-keeping of less frequently accessed data.
- Azure Hot Storage – Object storage that optimizes frequently accessed stored data to enable continuous IO.
- Support for Azure Page Blob and Azure Page Blob Premium Storage block storage types included.
As the capabilities of SoftNAS on Azure continue to grow, we’re excited to show you more of our upcoming features.