The Challenge: Unlocking business critical information from your IBM i and modernizing efficiently
IT is in a state of transition within the enterprise. Back office systems and applications, powered by workhorse platforms such as the IBM i, remain as critical to business today as ever. In order to serve emerging demands, businesses must develop their IT operations to embrace strategic initiatives such as Cloud computing, the mobile enterprise, Web services and Web enablement.
When it comes to modernizing applications, exposing business rules is a critical priority. However, for many IBM i enterprises, core applications – as vital as they may be – remain a “black box” to the teams responsible for modernization efforts. Lack of understanding of the application’s business rules, code composition and dependencies slows development and increases risk, inhibiting the business’ ability to reach its strategic goals on time and on budget.
What IBM i organizations need:
The ability to clearly understand and document the entire business application and expose business rules. This allows them to bring together today’s modern development methods with critical value embedded within the IBM i platform and its RPG, CA 2E (Synon) and COBOL applications.
The Solution: X-Analysis for effortless application documentation and analysis
For more than 25 years, thousands of IBM i developers have turned to Fresche Legacy’s X-Analysis suite of tools to better understand, maintain, enhance and evolve billions of lines of IBM i code.
X-Analysis Key Features
- Automated graphical documentation abstracts code implementation and makes it easy for IT to visualize and understand application design and flow.
- Powerful impact analysis tracks “where used” information starting from a single field or variable through all iterations and associated variables and fields.
- Extraction of relational data models from RPG/COBOL/SYNON facilitates database modernization and re- engineering efforts.
- Extraction of business rules from RPG/ COBOL enables IT to cross-reference, consolidate and store business rules, exposing the business logic that forms the nucleus of the application.
- Design, quality and complexity metrics help IT measure and track program complexities against established benchmarks such as Cyclomatic, Holstead, and Maintainability Index.
- Automated RPG/COBOL/SYNON and DB Conversion allows IT to transform legacy assets into modern languages and databases quickly, and without exposing the business to risk.
The X-Analysis Suite: Everything you need to manage your legacy application lifestyle
The world’s leading solution for documentation and analysis of the IBM i, X-Analysis helps organizations modernize their IT operations by quickly allowing developers to gain a full understanding of their RPG, CA 2E (Synon) or COBOL application functions and business rules.
Knowledge of these critical applications allows developers to easily update and incorporate ongoing changes to the base system.
- X-Analysis Professional: Automated application documentation and impact analysis for RPG, COBOL and CA 2E (Synon).
- Application Process Mapping: Business rule and relational data model extraction and documentation of application processes and flows.
- Audit, Quality and Change Management: Auditing of core application functionality - including design, quality and complexity - to identify and change problematic areas in the application.
- Data and Test Management: Analysis of data quality; data archiving, data subsetting and data masking. Test data automation and management.
- CA 2E Analysis: Everything required to analyze and document CA 2E applications.
- Open Systems Analysis: Cross-referencing and documentation of Java, C#, PHP, VB/VB.NET and PowerBuilder.
- Database Modernization: Automated conversion of DDS to DDL, including creation of constraints, long field names and views.
- Application Modernization: RPG, COBOL and CA 2E (Synon) automatically converted to Java.